I know we all have loads of toilet paper roll cores, so why not take this free commodity and put it to great use.
In this how to upcycle your toilet paper roll video, I'll show you how easy it is to make a mini journal using nothing but these rolls and some upcycled book pages. I'll show you the technique of creating doilies from toilet paper rolls and how to use Spellbinder's Texture plates to add an interesting layer of dimension.
Of course I've embellished the cover, but I've used supplies that I already have and they are left overs from other projects and so essentially these books are free to make once you have the dies and texture plates.
Watch the video on youtube - click here
How to Make an Upcycled Mini Journal with Toilet Paper Rolls
MMM-001 Spellbinders® Artisan X-plorer™ Machine
S5-215 Spellbinders® A2 Bracket Borders 2
GLT-004 Spellbinders® French Script texture plate by A Gilded Life
S4-420 Spellbinders® Majestic Circles
My Fun Stampers Journey – Journey Glaze
Want2Scrap – Allure Swirls SW-1002
Toilet paper core
2 fabric strips (approximately 1/2” wide by 3” long)
Optional supplies: buttons, broken jewelry, pearl beads, charms, lace
- Flatten toilet paper roll with fingers. Place desired Bracket Border Die approximately 1/8” from edge and pass through the Artisan-Xplorer™ cut through the top layer.
- Open and texture with the French Script texture plate.
- Highlight texture with white paint.
- Place the #3 and 4 (with 1 being the smallest) die from the Majestic Circles set nested together onto the base plate and cut one from a coffee filter.
- Attach one strip just under the front flap with Journey glaze. Attach the other strip to the back. These will tie the book together and keep it shut.
- Glue the decorative circle to the front cover.
- Embellish book cover as desired on the front with metal findings, flowers burlap strands and bling.
- Measure the opened book and cut several pages to size with scissors.
- Group pages together to form a signature and staple in the center. Fold in half at staple.
- Glue several signatures together and glue the front and back pages inside book. For added texture, I randomly tear the pages.