As an artist, I explore and create many different styles, but the one I keep coming back to, the one that calls my name is the vintage upcycle recycle style.
Ever wonder how to get those ruffle edges on fabric? Well, in this 2 minute video, I'm going to show you how.
Click here to watch on youtube.
I'm giving away a signed copy of my latest book Creative Ways to Organize your Home - details on how to enter the giveaway are here. (It's open until January 17, 2014)
For me, the basic shape dies are a staple in my die template collection. The Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™ Circles Three die templates are among my very favorite. Even though they are just basic circles – there are so many ways to use the shapes. In this project, I show you how easy it is to stack them together and create beautiful vintage flowers. I used them to decorate a small sachet pillow, but you could also create a brooch by just adhering a pin back. So versatile – enjoy exploring beyond!
MMM-001 Spellbinders® Artisan X-plorer™ Machine
MD1-012 Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™ Circles Three die template
MB1-007 Susan Lenart Kazmer for Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™ Circles Three Bezels
Satin Fabric (I have a champagne color and a deep eggplant color)
Ribbon Organza in coordinating color
Embellishments of choice – such as pearls, twine, lace, broken bits of jewelry, buttons etc.
Thread (matching color)
- Cut several circles of each fabric using the #3 (with #1 being the smallest) circle.
- Cut one #3 circle from decorative paper and place into bezel.
- Cut out and glue photo into bezel where desired
- Stack fabric together alternating light and dark colors and including organza circles between the layers.
- Tack with needle and thread
- Hold circles with pliers and quickly pass lighter flame over edges. This will curl the edges of the fabric. (Use caution so as not to catch the fabric on fire or burn your fingers). Do not hold the flame directly to fabric, simply pass flame over the edges.
- Use hot glue to attach pearls inside flowers.
- Arrange lace, trims, pearls, etc into a pleasing arrangement. Use hot glue to secure.
Affix collage to pillow with fabric glue or attach pin back for brooch.