Monday, May 27, 2013

Good things come in small packages Lindy Lu Lu" My Auntie said to me - Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™ Monday Art Journal

Follow Me on Pinterest



"Good things come in small packages" my Auntie said to me..........

So much of my artwork is inspired by my family, old memories, old photographs and times gone by.  I feel it much more important to hold those memories close as I get older.

This pendant/Art Journal is inspired by my Aunt Jeanette - my "Auntie" - {when I was little I couldn't say Jeanette}.  She passed away in the late 70's when I was in 7th grade.  We had a very close bond..  She was my Mom's oldest sister, 10 years older than my Mom.  She was sort of like my Mom's second Mother.  Auntie had no children and so she spoiled me like I was her own.

She had a love of miniatures and all things tiny. She would tell me stories of  how she always dreamed of a having a doll house to fix up and decorate just the way she wanted.  I think this might have been a way to keep her thinking young.  So in 1973, she had a doll house custom built for her.  It was golden yellow, looked like a beautiful farmhouse with a big front porch and bay window in the front and a side porch off one side.  It had a gorgeous winding staircase.  It was built by hand and she paid $300 for it.  I bet you can picture how my eyes lit up the first time I saw it.  To a little girl, it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen - it even had a chandelier and a miniature sized Tiffany style lamp that lit up!

She would tell me "Lindy Lu Lu, good things come in small packages". I believed her.





It wasn't but a couple of years later, that Auntie fell very sick.  And one day, she told me, as I sat on the bed beside her in the hospital "Linda Lu Lu, when I am gone, I want you to have my doll house".  The doll house became mine in 1979. Years later, I passed it along to my Aunt Molly who was able to fix it up in ways I couldn't.  But one day, I hope that it will become mine again.  

Auntie was right, good things DO come in small packages. And that my dear friends, is my love for all things in small packages started and the inspiration for this piece came about.

In today's video, I'm going to show you how to EXPLORE BEYOND using Spellbinders® die templates.




and  look beyond the shape and use the die to create this adorable little mini book that you can fill with your personal thoughts and memories.  Think Dimensional - Think 3-D and  Explore BEYOND!


How to make a Mini Art Journal - Mini Book Pendant 

Designed by Linda Peterson

Project Dimensions:  Book Size 1 3/8 x 1 1/8 x ¼

Spellbinders Supplies:

MMM-001 Spellbinders® Artisan X-plorer™ Machine
MT1-003 Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™  Grate Works Two Texture Plates
MM1-001 Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™ Foil Pack One
MM1-004 Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™ Aluminum
S5-143 Spellbinders® Jewel Flowers and Flourishes Die
MD1-013 Susan Lenart Kazmer for Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™  Rectangles Two Die
MD1-001 Susan Lenart Kazmer for Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™   Ovals One Die
MB1-501 Susan Lenart Kazmer for Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™   Ovals One Bezel 
    bronze 5 pack
MP1-001 Susan Lenart Kazmer for Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™   Ephemera Papers One

Other Supplies:

Dictionary pages (optional) 
Lace or ribbon
Acrylic paint in coordinating colors
Makeup sponge
Ancient Page® Acid Free Dye Ink – Chocolate
Copic® marker – Copper E-18
Envirotex™ Light -2 part epoxy resin
Tacky glue
Decoupage medium/paper sealer
Beads of choice
Bead caps
Headpins
Small piece of chain
Jump rings
Pin back
Stapler
Jewelry Pliers
Sanding block
2-part Epoxy resin

Instructions:

Creating your own foam texture stamps

  1. Cut aluminum rectangle from Spellbinders® Media Mixáge™ Rectangles Two #3 (with 1 being the smallest).  Cut 20 rectangles from dictionary or paper of choice.
  2. Place texture plate, texture side up on to base plate.  Secure with tape
  3. Place aluminum rectangle on texture plate and tape in position to achieve the pattern you like.  Finish with Cutting plate C and run through Artisan X-plorer™ machine.
  4. Distress one side with paint or alcohol marker and sand off some of the textured areas to allow aluminum to show.
  5. On back side draw a line 1” and 1 ¼” from the edge.
  6. Use a straight edge to bend at lines to form book
  7. Stack 5 paper rectangles, bend in half matching edges and crease.
  8. Staple along the crease lines at the top and bottom.  Repeat for 5 signatures
  9. Stack signatures and apply glue at the edge.  Allow to dry
  10. Glue signature into book
  11. Cut butterfly from the Spellbinders Jewels Flowers and Flourishes using bronze colored foil.  Distress with sanding sponge.
  12. Daub a bit of paint to distress Ovals One bezel.  Allow to dry
  13. Cut photograph using Ovals One die template #1.  Seal the photo with decoupage medium.
  14. Place photo inside bezel and fill bezel with resin.  Allow to dry overnight
  15. Collage lace, butterfly and bezel to the front of book and glue. 
  16. Add pin back or attach a jump ring for a pendant. 

Designer Tip: 
For a variation of the book, attach a jump ring at the top and punch a hole in the lower right corner.  Set an eyelet and attach charms and dangles with a jump ring.  I use silk cording for the necklace and tie in the back of the neck so it can adjust.

Add pictures, words, short phrases or decorate the pages with Ephemera pages one book.  It’s a work of art that you can wear!!

Your creativity is limitless - Explore Beyond™!




Tags:  Linda Peterson , Spellbinders, media mixage, craft, diy, how to, tutorial, vintage necklace, vintage, mixed media, mixed media jewelry, jewelry making, jewelry techniques, texturizing brass, brass blanks, make jewelry, collage, found object, junk jewelry, Spellbinder die templates, art journals, miniature art journal, mini books, book pendants







Don't miss out! Subscribe to my free project tutorials, videos and tips to help you in your creative home and business life!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

1 comment:

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous sample! Thanks for sharing your creative process! Can't wait to give this a try!

Click on a post

Related Posts with Thumbnails