Wednesday, July 25, 2007

CHA HIGHLIGHTS

First of all...... you might want to go grab a cup of java or iced tea...this blog is gonna take a while.....

As promised, Im back with some highlights from the CHA show held last week in Chicago. I always look forward to meeting up with the "girls" and sharing ideas, getting inspired and hearing about their life in general. This trip came thru as promised. I got to catch up with girlfriends like Lisa Galvin of Lisa Galvin Creates - now turned sales rep for the craft industry, Debba Haupert from Girlfriendology, Julianna Hudgins from Julianna Productions, our newest designer at AMACO- Caryn Gehm....and so many more!



I took Mariah with me this year, we caught an earlier flight and arrived to Chicago about two hours earlier than expected. Mariah asked if we were going to catch a cab to the show...I said "No, honey...from here on out it's all walking!" I walked her little legs off. She was quite a trooper and enjoyed meeting every one at the show. It was quite overwhelming for her i think. She took part in the Bottles of Hope ceremony held on Saturday. We told of how Bottles of Hope was special to us, and how much the campers at TEEN CAMP RAINBOW enjoyed getting their bottles from the designers who had donated to AMACO for the winter CHA designer challenge.


I think now she realizes that trade shows are not "vacations" and that we all really work hard.



We had sort of a co-demonstration going on at the AMACO booth. I soldered our new Brass Rods and created "bezels" - then sent them to the Caryn at theFriendly plastic demonstration area to be further embellished. (I should have taken a photo....maybe we'll save that for another blog). Later I demonstrated Faux Dichroic using the technique found in my BEAD TECHNIQUES book.



We had another special guest visiting AMACO from the UK. She is known as the Friendly plastic Queen! Liz Welch demonstrated all her new contemporary techniques for working with Friendly Plastic on Saturday. She is an accomplished artist, author and has two DVD's on Friendly Plastic techniques. Liz has won awards in textiles by combining fabric with Friendly plastic.





Mariah made her debut demonstration on Sunday for about an hour. She was a little apprehensive at first, but soon was on a roll.



Saturday afternoon, Mariah and I walked the show floor. I was particularly on the look out for new jewelry findings, fibers, chains and anything I could possible turn into a piece of jewelry for my new book "Making Beads" by Cico Books (Summer 08). I visited Katie Hacker at the Beadalon booth to check out all the new chains, stringing materials, beads......Beadalon came shining thru with creative ideas and new products (not to mention that Katie is one of my favorite beader's of all time!) .



I also visited the McGill booth to check out their new punches and their line of digital scrapbooking materials called Pixel Magic. I use alot of McGill punches in my work, especially when working with metals. They offer great designs and are very durable...plus they stay sharp for ease in punching.



Avery products were also there. I dont believe this was their first time presenting their products, but I've seemed to have missed them before. I love the Avery line of transfer papers. I used their products in my "Photo transfer bracelet class" at More than Memories. I showed Avery that their fabric transfers were not just for fabric....i think they were suprized to find out what all of us clayer's use them for.....so, Im looking forward to using their products and expand their horizons....



We always take time to stop by and say Hello to Suzanne McNeil and Kathy Mason at the Design Originals booth. For you polymer clay addicts, check out Barbara McGuires new Caning book. You wont be disappointed. I'm happy to announce that I'll be working with them again on a new Metal Jewelry Book and Air Dry clay book (featuring Craft Porcelain) due out in Spring of 08. (oohh...i gotta get busy)





Let's talk cool rubber stamps for just a minute....Let's talk PAPER ARTSY . I received several designs compliments of them to use in future design work. Check out their website. Great for altered art....I plan to incorporate the designs for beads.
Pam Hawkins, editor of Bead Unique magazine stopped so look for upcoming metal and clay jewelry beginning with issue #17, due in May 08. Check out their website for more information on the Sonoma Wine Country Glass and Bead Festival - August 9-12, 2007.



And last but certainly not least.....the class friday night at More Than Memories. Oh goodness....this class goes down in history as one of my best classes with the best students around. We had loads of fun. And....I got to meet Michele Charles - a very talented, VERY TALENTED paper crafts and rubberstamping artist. (SHE TOOK MY CLASS....GET OUT!!!) This girl is just a delight to be with and so inspiring. Kasey and Jackie (owners of MTM) were simply a delight as well. THANKS to them for all their hardwork in making my class successful...but their whole inaugural PASSPORT TO CREATIVITY was a success as well. Kasey and Jackie stopped by the booth Sunday to snap a quick photo. When you are in Schaumburg, IL....you must stop by their store...its multi-media heaven!! I'm hoping to be back next year!


I'll have to continue this later............I just looked at the time...gotta get to work. Stay tuned for a MAJOR FIMO ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Before I forget.......I might mention that if you click on any of the links listed....and send an email...please let them know that you had visited my blog. We in the crafts community are all about helping each other out....Thanks a bunch!!!










No comments:

Click on a post

Related Posts with Thumbnails