Saturday, November 10, 2007

I've had a JENetic makeover at my new Creative Design SPA

Feel like you are in a creative rut? You are not alone. Even well known designers get into that creative sort of....writers block thing. It's happened to me. So what do you do when that happens??

I really didn't have any real expectation for creativity this week...although I did want to design on some denim jeans....I'm going to get them done before I grow out of them! I had no idea what was in store for me...but I was up for a week of play.

This past week, I've stepped back and changed roles. I was the student - and Im not so sure how good of a student I was...I questioned...smirked...rolled my eyes...said "are you sure about that??? - don't think that will work....", but none the less I took on the role of a student.

I had a fantastic teacher - JLO. What did she teach? OUT OF THE BOX THINKING! I tend to look at something at face value...not Jen....she looks at how she can cut it up...stamp it up...shrink it up....You name it...she is going to do it. She also designs without the hesitation of messing up. Do you do that? Do you just play? I can say that I didn't. But I do now. I have learned that playing is half the battle of designing. I've always said it's okay to make mistakes... but what I really meant to say...was that it's okay to make "conservative" mistakes. I no longer hold on to that philosphy! Not sense the JENetic makeover! I've now changed my studio....into a "CREATIVE DESIGN SPA!"

So this week, we've taken Friendly Plastic to the limit....wait till you see what we've done with this girls...it's not your Grandma's friendly plastic. We can make it look like an asian fabric - only in small pieces....I've perfected the dicroic technique with Friendly Plastic.....

We've taken copper metal and torched it using anything we could think of as a resist - I promise pictures when the technique is perfected....

I just can't begin to tell you, how much fun...how great this "SPA" experience was.... oh my goodness gracious....

We've now termed a new word...it's called "LinJENeering".....stay tuned for this whole new way of creating......

No comments:

Click on a post

Related Posts with Thumbnails